Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another reality check

Because adoption has always been in the plan for us, I was hit with a huge dose of reality today. While researching and leaning more towards an international/interacial adoption I knew that it would be a challenge for some people to understand. Not to mention the questions we will get for the rest of our family's lives. Well, guess I didn't realize that some people would have a hard time with just the idea of adoption - even family and close friends. It came as a shock to me to think that some of the people we love the most wouldn't be 100% supportive and that they would have very strong opinions against it.

That night Neil and I talked about it a lot and now we know that our journey will not only be faith building and eye opening for us. Our prayer is that it will also open the eyes and hearts of the people around us. More open to adoption, to opening your home to complete love someone, to redefining the word family, to creating a picture of unity between cultures, to seeing God's heart for the opressed, widowed, orphaned, poor, etc. Our community will hopefully become more aware of the poverty around the world and the need for us Christians to answer the call to helping those in need. To love everyone. To be Christ's hands and feet.

As much as I hate to admit it, this realization makes me nervous because I am unfortunately still one who cares what others think. I like getting people's approval. I'm definately a people pleaser. Fortunately, I married someone who is his own man. Neil has this amazing ability of doing what is right no matter what others think. He has helped me feel more confident in who I am and what we stand for and believe in. So we will push on and forward knowing that God not only has some amazing plans for us but for the people in our lives as we go through this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment